- A limited number of copies of Andrew Dipper’s latest book, LIBREM SEGRETI DE BVTTEGHA, ‘A Book Of Workshop Secrets’: The Violin And Its Fabrication In Italy Circa 1725-1790, has just been printed! This book is a translation by Andrew Dipper of a rare 18th century manuscript on violin making, which is now part of the Fondo Patetta of the Bibioteca Apostolica Vaticana. Typeset and illustrated by the author, it contains his footnotes, explanations, illustrations and interpretations of the manuscript’s historic secrets, rules, and formulas. See some sample pages above.
Please contact us to arrange your purchase using the CONTACT US page.
- Musical Instruments of the Violin Family and the Geometry and Positioning of Cutting Out their F-shaped Sound Holes. Ed. Andrew Dipper & Linda Wagner, 1996.
- Co-translation of Count Cozio de Salabue: Notes on Violin Making and Adjustment. Taynton Press, 1985. Used copies occasionally available.
- Co-translation of The Secrets of Stradivari. Libreria del Convegno, Cremona, 1978.*
*This book is now available in reprint.
- “The use of mineral ground coatings for violin varnish”, Violin Society of America Journal. 1993, Vol. XIII, No. 2.
- “Issues of Restoration, Conservations and Repair”, Violin Society of America Journal. 1991, Vol. XII, No. 2.
- “The Geometric Construction of the violin forms of Antonio Stradivari”, Violin Society of America Journal. 1988, Vol. X, No. 2.
- “A Strad is Born”, The Woodworker. January, 1983.